- Mulch the plants before you cover them.
- Pile dry leaves, compost, or mulch around the plant to a height of around 2 to 3 feet.
- Cover everything with a sheet, blanket or freeze cloth. Anchor the cloth to the ground with 2 x 4's or bricks. You do not want the wind to blow the ground heat from under your cover.
- If you choose to use plastic, put it on the outside. Don't let plastic touch the leaves or you will get leaf burn everywhere the plastic touches the plant.
- Remove the covering the next day if the temperature is expected to get up into the 50's.
Thursday, April 5, 2007
How to protect your plants from low temperatures
The next few nights are being forcasted to have extremly cold temperatures below freezing. You may choose a few of the following ideas to help protect growing tender plants from frost injury.